Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Clothing

I have started trying to make my own clothes on occasion. It's kind of fun! But it is pretty hard for me to do it and do it well. :) I'm still learning. My first two skirts I made with the help of a friend in Logan, Paulina. Then yesterday I decided to just make a dress, all by myself. It is not perfect, but I am fairly pleased with myself! I also, with Russell's help at the end, was able to make another skirt, WoOt!
**skirt #3 is still under construction... to be updated at a later date! :D**

Skirt #1


To make this skirt we took one of my favorite fitting skirts and just used it to make up our own pattern. We cut it nice and wide at the bottom and pleated the top. We also added in a layer of fabric underneath as a type of slip and added a zipper to the side. I was lucky enough to find this cute pattern fabric at Joann's. They have a bunch of similar styled patterns there. So check it out if you want to try and make your own cute skirt!

Skirt #2


For this skirt we cut rectangle strips and triangle strips. We sewed it in a pattern of every other shape. First a rectangle, then a triangle, rectangle, triangle until we used them all. We had all of the triangle tips in the same direction so that the top half of the skirt is skinnier than the bottom half. We then just sewed a strip of stretchy material into the top so I didn't have to add a zipper! :)

Dress #1



For this dress I used a nice stretchy fabric, like a t-shirt fabric. I took one of my favorite fitting stretchy t-shirts and a skirt that was nice and wide at the bottom. I tried them on to figure out the way I wanted the dress to fit and then laid them down on my fabric, which was folded in half. I then traced around the outside of the dress and skirt together, with the bottom of the skirt as spread out as it can go. Then I cut out one side of the dress, folded it in half so that it met up with the other half as closely as possible and cut it out. I cut out separate fabric for the sleeves, I think that looks better than having them sewn all the way across the top. Anyway. Then I just pinned it all together and sewed it up! BAM. Pretty, casual, purple dress.

Skirt #3

Russ and I found this awesome shiny fabric at Joann's a while ago and I was hoping to use it to make a maxi dress but I didn't have nearly enough. And afterwards I decided it wouldn't have worked well for that style of dress anyway. So I decided to make it into a skirt! Since the fabric has no stretch to it whatsoever I had to make it nice and loose so it would actually fit. So we bought a pretty stretchy fabric to use on the waist and we cut the shiny fabric into slightly slanted squares and sewed them together. We added buttons to the front to give it a little more life. And ta-da! Skirt #3! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you ever try one of our recipes we would love to hear your feedback! Let us know if you like them or if you make any changes! We love comments! :)

Followers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...