Braised Beef with Root Vegetables
(I think she originally found it here)
- 3 T. flour
- 1 ½ T. oil
- 1 (1-2 pounds) boneless chuck roast, trimmed of fat
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup apple cider or gingerale
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into ½-inch-thick slices
- 4 small turnips or potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 300-degrees.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef on all sides with ½ tsp. of the salt and the pepper; dredge in flour. Add beef to pan; cook 10 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove to roasting pan.
- Add garlic, broth, cider and bay leaf to frying pan, scraping to remove browned bits; bring to a boil.
- Pour over the roast, cover and bake for 1 ½ hours.
- Add carrots; cover and cook 25 minutes.
- Add remaining salt, turnips or potatoes, and onion; cover and cook an additional hour, or until vegetables are tender and beef is fork-tender.
- Sprinkle with parsley and bake another 5 minutes. Slice beef and serve with veggies and juices.