Southern Fried Chicken
- 2lbs cut up chicken or breasts sliced into strips
- Oil (for frying)
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees. In a large bowl beat eggs and water. Add hot sauce and whisk together.
- In small bowl combine ground black pepper, salt and garlic powder. In another bowl or pie plate combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pat dry chicken pieces with a paper towel. Sprinkle chicken pieces generously on both sides with the seasoning mixture.
- Dip chicken pieces into the hot sauce mixture and coat thoroughly. One piece at a time, roll chicken pieces in the flour mixture and drop into the deep fryer. Don’t over load the deep fryer with chicken. Fry chicken until brown and crisp (dark meat will take about 14 minutes, white meat about 10 minutes). A good way to tell if it’s done is to pierce the deepest part of the bone with a fork, if the juices run clear, it’s done. Drain on paper towels. Repeat until all chicken is fried.