Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 2 T. butter
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 bunches broccoli, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup flour mixed with ¼ cup milk
- 2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped ham (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large pan over med. heat. Saute’ the onion and garlic in the butter until translucent. Add the pepper, broth and water and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli and potato.
- When the mixture returns to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for about 20 min. or until the vegetables are tender.
- Smoosh the soup with a potato masher.
- Add the flour and milk mixture, stirring until the soup is thickened. Add the milk, cheese and ham. Heat through and serve, adding salt if needed.