Creamy Corn and Potato Chowder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 5 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Black pepper, to taste
- dash Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Fresh Dill, chopped (optional garnish)
Melt the butter in a large saucepan or medium soup pot.
Stir in the onion and celery.
Partially cover the pan and cook the vegetables
over moderate heat for 9 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken stock, corn, potato, and salt and bring the mixture to a low boil.
Lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for about 7 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and flour.
Stir the mixture into the soup with the pepper.
Bring the soup back to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 8 minutes.
Serve hot, garnished with dill if desired.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan or medium soup pot.