Wednesday, June 19, 2013

CLASSIC: Frankenstein

Frankenstein **1/2
by Mary Shelley
Book Type: Science Fiction, Horror
Summary: At once a Gothic thriller, a passionate romance, and a cautionary tale about the dangers of science, Frankenstein tells the story of committed science student Victor Frankenstein. Obsessed with discovering the cause of generation and life and bestowing animation upon lifeless matter, Frankenstein assembles a human being from stolen body parts but; upon bringing it to life, he recoils in horror at the creature's hideousness. Tormented by isolation and loneliness, the once-innocent creature turns to evil and unleashes a campaign of murderous revenge against his creator, Frankenstein.
summary found on goodreads
My Review: Well then. After reading the Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein books I needed to read the classic, obviously! It was the next step. It just was. So I did! And I was pretty disappointed. I didn't think it was creepy. Basically Frankenstein is a complete and total psycho. But it's understandable since every person he loves is brutally murdered by his evil creation. The Frankenstein monster was a disappointment for me because he spoke so eloquently. He was intelligent and well-spoken. I mean... What? All he wanted was to love and be loved. Yet he is hated and reviled at every turn. Well I think I would be pretty angry as well in his shoes. The story was slow and boring for the most part. Never actually telling you how Frankenstein made his monster in the first place. So where did the whole lightening thing come about? Maybe it mentioned it but I was so bored I missed it... But I'm pretty sure they never explained why or how exactly the monster is brought about. I gathered that he is a big, ugly, terrifying brute made up of the best of the best pieces. So yeah. I'm beginning to feel like most classics are classics simply because there weren't any other options back then... Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you ever try one of our recipes we would love to hear your feedback! Let us know if you like them or if you make any changes! We love comments! :)

Followers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...