Friday, February 25, 2011

The Help

The Help *****
by Katherine Stockett
Book Type: Historical Fiction, Drama 
Summary: The novel is told from the point of view of three narrators: Aibileen Clark, a middle-aged African-American maid who has spent her life raising white children, and who has recently lost her only son; Minny Jackson, an African-American maid whose back-talk towards her employers results in her having to frequently change jobs, exacerbating her desperate need for work as well as her family's struggle with money; and Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan, a young white woman and recent college graduate who, after moving back home, discovers that a maid that helped raise her since childhood has abruptly disappeared and her attempts to find her have come to nought. The stories of the three women intertwine to explain how life in Jackson, Mississippi revolves around "the help", with complex relations of power, money, emotion, and intimacy tying together the white and black families of Jackson.
summary found on wikipedia
My Review: This book was FABULOUS. At least I really liked it. It is just so... real and sincere. The characters are so full and engaging. I loved all of them. I cried and cheered as I read this novel. Seriously well written and very fulfilling. 
Note** There is some cursing and one thing that is kind of disgusting that I guess offended some people but seriously, I was sad when the story finished, I wanted more.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book! I wish it had a sequel or went on further than it did, though.

    ReplyDelete

If you ever try one of our recipes we would love to hear your feedback! Let us know if you like them or if you make any changes! We love comments! :)

Followers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...