Boston Clam Chowder
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. thyme
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups 2% or whole milk
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-2 cans clams (do not drain)
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- Microcook potatoes in a bowl with ¼ cup water for 10 minutes or until soft OR cook the potatoes in water on the stove until soft; drain all but ¼ cup then set aside.
- Saute’ onion, garlic, celery and spices in butter over medium heat till translucent.
- Add flour gradually. Cook and stir till bubbly (1-2 min.).
- Stir in milk, potato juice and clam juice. Boil and stir one min.
- Add clams and potatoes, turn heat down to low and heat till hot.
- Stir in vinegar right before serving.