Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Best Tacos I've Ever Had...

Yay! I get to be all cool and write on Chaela's blog! (Woot, woot!)

For those of you who don't know me: I'm Michaela's old roommate. The one who who flat out asked Russ what, exactly, his intentions were with the girl and told him just to kiss her already.

Yep. That's me. :)

I also happen to be a lover of music, art, dancing, literature and all things French. (Ok, I'm a little obsessed... get over it)

AND..... FOOD!

I love to cook and Mich will attest that I love to cook delicious things that don't take much time. (She's actually shared a few of my college standbys on here already.) So when I told her I had a fabulous taco recipe, she said that I should just come on and share and she'd try it out.

So here I am :)

So let me tell you about this here recipe:

I'm a teacher and rarely get home before 5:30. I live back at my parents' (since I'm single and really don't want to pay rent) and to help out I make dinner once a week. Grocery shopping and all. My mom has always been a stay-at-home mom and dinner is promptly at 6. Nowadays that's even more necessary since my dad is bishop and usually doesn't have much time between work and meetings. In other words, when I make dinner I have to make things quick.

Tacos are quick. I love a good taco. But it has to be a GOOD taco with lots of flavor. But the MSG in seasoning packets doesn't go over well at my house and I'm not a big fan of ground beef. So I made these impromptu turkey tacos. And keep making them. Quick. Easy. Delicious.

Here's what you need:

*measurements are approximate... Michaela will attest to the fact that I only measure in baking*

1-2 lbs Ground Turkey (that package has ~ 1 2/3 lbs)
1 T Oregano
2 t Cumin
1-2 T Chili Powder
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 14.5oz can tomatos
1 4oz can green chilis
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 avocado (this is the fattiest part of the dish!)
Tortillas (I'm a flour tortilla person, myself)
Ranch dressing (or creamy tomatillo dressing... from my blog here)

Directions:
In a medium fry pan, drizzle a bit of olive oil and heat on medium/medium-high. Turkey is extremely lean and you don't want it to stick!


Begin cooking turkey over medium heat.


In another fry pan, again drizzle a bit of olive oil and let it start to heat up (again on medium/medium-high)


While the oil is warming up, add the cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper to your turkey. Mix it in well and let it continue cooking on low.


Back in the other fry pan, add your onions and garlic and saute until the onions begin to appear translucent.

Add the green chilies and continue cooking until some of the liquids have cooked off.


Add the tomatoes. You may need to break apart some of the bigger tomato chunks.


Pour the tomato mixture over the fully cooked meat and mix in well.


Put the meat on a tortilla, top with sliced avocado and a drizzle of dressing.


Roll it up, serve with a salad and enjoy!


***I'll come back on and add a mint lemonade recipe to go with the dish :)

1 comment:

  1. Jess this looks delish! I just might go out and buy some ground turkey this week :)

    ReplyDelete

If you ever try one of our recipes we would love to hear your feedback! Let us know if you like them or if you make any changes! We love comments! :)

Followers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...