Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars *****
by John Green
Book Type: YA, Realistic Fiction

Summary: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
summary found on goodreads
My Review: Oh my goodness. I am completely in love with this book. I absolutely adored Augustus and Hazel. They are such dynamic, intelligent characters and they are so... real. I LOVED the love that these families display for their dying children. Books with strong families seem to be rare but they are undeniably refreshing.
Hazel is a person you can't help but like. Even when it seems as though she has completely given up on living, you can't help but like her. One day in the boring life of the nearly invalid Hazil meets a strikingly handsome and charismatic young man who completely turns her world upside down. Hazel is feeling a bit down on herself, only seeing the bad things that are left to her in life. Augustus on the other hand is struck by her beauty, intelligence, and humor. Their relationship is so cute, I kept reading their conversations out loud to Russell... Even though he had no idea what was going on. It is so refreshing to have true love in a young adult story, not some ridiculous, over the top obsession. Thank you John Green for proving it can be done.
The first 2/3 of this book are fabulous. Funny, witty, charming. It is absolutely fantastic. Then tragedy strikes, as you know it must in a story about a bunch of teenagers with cancer. It pulls at your heartstrings making you cry and cry and cry. Seriously, I was on the verge of sobbing at points. This book forces you to fall in love with these amazing characters and then your heart is ripped out and stomped on a few times before being carefully handed back to you. Even with that in mind, I would read this book again and again. It is a beautiful story. So wonderfully derived and delivered. I can't say enough good things about this book. It makes me want to learn to speak more eloquently, not be embarrassed to make up my own ridiculous words and phrases, have one word that says "I love you", make a difference in the world because I actually can... And be stronger as I go through my own personal trials. This book is absolutely wonderful. Read it. Trust me. You won't regret it. But make sure you keep the tissues handy... I was laying down while I was reading and I highly regretted it. My ears were dripping as much as my nose by the time I finally got up and changed reading positions...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you ever try one of our recipes we would love to hear your feedback! Let us know if you like them or if you make any changes! We love comments! :)

Followers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...