- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup apple juice
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated **other cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped green onion, 1/2 cup grated carrot
- Toasted French bread cubes
- Sliced and cooked Kielbasa sausage
- Steamed broccoli
- Fried potatoes
- Fried or steamed squash
- Rub the cut-side of the garlic sections on the inside of your fondue pot, throw the garlic away and set the pot aside.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly with a whisk, until bubbly--about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the liquids, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- As soon as it starts to bubble and is starting to thicken, reduce the heat to low and stir for a few more minutes until it has thickened nicely.
- Stir in the cheese and keep stirring until the cheese has melted. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour into your fondue pot and keep warm.
**other cheese. This can be whatever cheese you want! Some of our favorites are:
- 3/4 c. smoked Gouda + 1/4 c. swiss
- 3/4 c. swiss + 1/4 c. fresh Parmesan
- 3/4 c. pepper cheese + 1/4 c. garlic cheese (Tilamook cheeses)
- 3/4 c. pepper jack + 1/4 c. Parmesan
- 1 c. swiss
- 1 c. parmesan